"Meeting Asciepius" and Discussion

This meditation was difficult for me. Usually, I don't have a problem with my mind wandering but I was picturing my Great-Grandmother and I couldn't help but think about things from the past. I was remembering little things like her sitting on the couch doing crossword puzzles, or playing Uno with us for hours. She couldn't see the different between the blue and green cards but no one in the family would tell her when she put the wrong color down. Little things that I had forgotten came back to me. I was trying to focus on the light and the practice, but I was just too busy remembering. When we were asked to bath in that light and become one with this person, I felt humbled. I don't know if I could ever be the woman she was or come anything close to it. She had several children and lived during both World Wars and the Depression. Born in 1900, she lived a long and impressive life. She was everyones favorite. =)

The saying "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself” is a wonderful thought. How are we supposed to understand what someone is going through unless we really place ourselves there as well. This can be dangerous territory for a mental health professional but for most people we can really try and understand their point of view. Sometimes the answer is that we can't. When that is the answer, all we can do instead is to give loving kindness and understanding. We can still try to listen and be there when people need us.

Comments

  1. I actually had better luck concentrating this time. I focused on my grandmother and I have always felt a deep connection, so maybe this helped. I actually felt her presence stronger than I ever have before, and she as I call her "my guardian angel" has helped me through many things spiritually. I also believe if we do not learn and experience contemplative exercises and understand the mind, body, and spirit connection how are we to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are really getting in tune with your mind and memories. These exercises really help bring back some past events in my life. I, like you, remembered some interactions I had with my Grandmother. Its funny how soon we forget yet when you really start to tap into the mind, memories, understanding and knowledge seem to start to come out of it. I still struggle with staying focused during the exercises but am making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melinda . . .

    To truly be able to empathize and listen wholeheatedly to another person, we also have walked the path they are suffering through . . . That is why in traditional cultures, the best Healers are those who have suffered disease and illness and many difficulties themselves. "Don't waste your sorrows"; I read that once about how we can harness our own past suffering as a means for strength in our prayer and intercessin for others. You are right, one cannot lead another where one has not gone before.
    - Moises / DreamMerchant / Falling Waterfalls

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts